-->

About Me

My photo
I love anything creative...I am a busy mom of three (+4 dogs, 1 bird, 1 bunny, and 1 sweet husband) who sometimes wishes I had more time/energy/talent to devote to just being creative!

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

I forgot how much I enjoyed sorting thread.....

  
I forgot how much I enjoy sorting thread....said no one EVER! Especially not me. It's been years since I stitched a kit, but this one caught my eye. It is Bucilla's Heirloom Collection "Dana's Roses". The roses look just like one of my favorite types of roses "Peace" roses, and the kit included 28 count evenweave instead of scratchy Aida. So I bought it, cause that's just what I need is another large project to start. The thread sorter the kit included even had a little color sample next to the holes to make it easier to sort the thread. Did not really help. It still took me about an hour and several tangled messes to get all the thread sorted. Looking at how much thread is needed for this is a little intimidating.

This is my fun small project for the month, Prairie Schooler's "Owl & the Pussycat". I changed the colors a bit, using WDW "Grasshopper" for the boat, and changing the words from gold to purple. I love the little children's poem. I had an aunt who lived abroad for many years as I was growing up, and I remember she gave me a book of English children's stories/poems. The Owl & Pussycat was in it, beautifully illustrated. The book also included another children's poem that still to this day frightens me, it was called "The Pobble who lost his Nose" if I remember right, and it was about an elf who swam across the English Channel and froze off his nose. Don't know why it scared me so as a child, but I do remember the elf/pobble being quite creepy looking in the story.

Here is one of my first rose blooms for the year. This variety is called "Moonlit Path" and they have a beautiful purple tinge to them. They line my driveway, and I love seeing them as I pull in from work. Hoping everyone had a pleasant Easter, and warm spring days ahead. Thanks for stopping by!


12 comments:

Deb said...

Oh, too funny about needing another project!
Lovely WIP!
Some poems, and fairy tales, have always been a little creepy to me also.
Very pretty rose

Tammy said...

The roses are beautiful and so is your stitching! I love the Owl and Pussycat. I grew up with that poem, and now I have to have the patten too! You're a good woman for sorting all that floss!

Von said...

I'm several weeks out from my roses blooming so I appreciate you sharing yours!

Sheryl said...

Your post made me smile as I have just been sorting lots of thread. Love the owl and the pussycat, really pretty and great to see the lovely rose.

Barbi said...

One color at a time, that's what you do for thread sorting! You're right though...I have a bag full of threads that I need to sort and put away, but I think sometimes it's easier to go buy a new skein than look for it. I have a system, but I have to put them all back (the ones that I've used.) Oh well.
Love your PS piece.

Barb said...

The only thing worse than sorting threads is frogging over one!! Your rose is just beautiful. I like the Owl and the Pussycat poem. It will be fun to see your project as it progresses.

Justine said...

Ugh thread sorting! I don't think I would buy a kit that had great bundles of thread like that. ..I struggle with a mini magazine cover kit!
That sounds like another Edgar Allen Poe verse to me, so scary. I always found the Owl and the Pussycat a little creepy too but I love your PS piece!

Brigitte said...

Having a little colour sample is what I usually miss when I buy a kit where the thread isn't pre-sorted. Have fun with your new project.

Unknown said...

I hate sorting threads too! Love the owl and the pussycat stitching you are doing - so sweet. Have a great weekend.x

EvalinaMaria said...

Thank goodness we do not have to sort flosses every day! The rose is gorgeous!
Evalina, This and that...

Jennifer M. said...

You are right! I hate sorting thread especially in kits. It gets in the way of starting the fun stuff. Love your little design you started.

Beautiful rose too. :)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I think that's why I prefer to kit my own projects and use the DMC from my stash as its ready sorted!
Love the Owl and the Pussycat.
And I remember the Edward Lear poem but the Pobble lost his toes, not his nose!